Chair Yoga for healthy feet
these exercises will get you grounded 🦶🏽
Your feet are the foundation of your entire body and therefore provide for grounding. If you have both feet firmly on the ground you are less likely to fall, both physically and emotionally. Wearing shoes makes the muscles in the foot lazy. Because of this they have to work harder to carry the entire weight of your body. Keep your feet healthy and do some yoga foot exercises regularly during your yoga class. The muscle strength will increase and complaints will decrease or be prevented.
The following yoga foot exercises can help you. All poses can be done sitting down from your chair. Have a tennis ball or other small ball and a pencil within reach. Sit in a comfortable position, then take off your shoes and socks.
Start with the following foot exercises
- Your knees are hip-width apart, your ankles below your knees. Lift the balls of your feet and your heels alternately. Lift them low at first and slowly increase height. Then make the movement smaller and smaller again. This exercise is great when traveling on a bus or airplane and ensures that the blood in your legs is pumped around properly.
- Stretch your legs in front of you and pull your toes towards your knees. Your feet bulge. Hold this position for 15 seconds. Relax and repeat.
- Keep your legs stretched out in front of you and try to point your toes down as far as possible. Your feet will be hollow. Hold for 15 seconds. Relax and repeat.
- Place your feet firmly on the ground. Lift just the toes up and slowly place them back on the ground. Repeat 10 times.
- Spread your toes as wide as possible. Hold for 2 seconds, relax and repeat 5 more times.
Muscle strengthening exercises
- Lift both heels off the floor, press your toes to the floor for 15 seconds. Relax and repeat.
- Stand on the inner side of your feet. Take ten small steps. Relax. Repeat the exercise on the outer side of your feet.
- Keep your four little toes on the ground and lift your big toe. Hold for 3 seconds. Relax.
- Keep your big toe on the ground and lift your four little toes. Hold for 3 seconds. Relax.
- Grab a pencil from the floor with your toes and then release it. Repeat 6 times.
Even more fine exercises
- Stretch out both legs and twist your toes clockwise for 5 seconds. Relax and rotate 5 seconds in the other direction. Keep your lower legs in place while rotating your feet.
- Place the toe nails of your right foot on the floor and apply gentle pressure to stretch your foot. Hold for 10 seconds and switch foot.
- Bend the toes like a ballerina and gently scratch the floor with the tips of the toes while keeping the heels up.
- Place a tennis ball under the arch of your foot while keeping your heel on the ground. Slowly add more pressure to your foot. Hold for 10 seconds and switch sides.
- Roll your foot over the ball of your heel to your toes several times. Change sides.
- Your feet are hip-width apart. Next, move your heels inwards, touching each other. Now turn your front feet towards each other, the toes of your shoes touching. This movement trains your foot and thigh muscles and promotes mobility in your hips.
Effect of Chair Yoga foot exercises
What is the effect of the yoga foot exercises? They:
- Improve blood circulation
- Keep your feet supple and strong
- Bring you out of your head and into your body
- Provide good grounding and balance
- Contribute to a better posture
How often can I do the exercises?
A daily routine of 5 minutes of foot yoga helps to improve the mobility, flexibility and strength in your toes, feet and ankles. Therefore, choose five exercises during each yoga class and alternate them.
More tips for keeping your feet healthy
- Try to walk around barefoot for at least half an hour every day. This way your feet can breathe properly.
- Make sure your shoes are not too tight: that does not benefit the blood circulation.
- Visit a pedicurist to keep your feet beautiful and cared for.
- Take a foot bath and massage your feet with a nourishing foot balm afterwards.
Do you want to practice yoga easily and without injuries? Or are you looking for an effective break from work? Check out the online Chair Yoga classes here.